Sunday 10 July 2022

Bundaberg/Burnett Heads Stay

 After our stay at Maryborough we hooked up and headed a little further north to set up at a lovely little hamlet of Burnett Heads, a little NE of Bundaberg. Burnett Heads is at the mouth of the Burnett River which is also where the large sugar bulk carriers berth to take processed sugar on board.


The weather was again against us, but it didn't really stop us from doing what we set out to achieve.

To begin with I checked out a patchwork shop in Bundaberg that I had found online, and oh my, it was wonderful. Just the sort of activity to do on a cold, wet and miserable day!


Doesn't this store sound wonderful - 'Teacup, Quilts & Niceties'?  I also visited 'The Quilters Shack'. Although it was extremely hard (?) I curtailed my desire to purchase a lot of fabric bits and pieces. Below is what I purchased between the two shops, including a lovely Christmas caravan piece.


After finding the food court in a local shopping centre, we ventured into the centre of Bundaberg, and whilst hubby tried to find the local eye wear shop, I headed off down the main street to find a shop that I really should not have been seeking out.


Yes, I headed for a chocolate shop, and as some of you may know, after admitting I was a serious chocoholic, I can no longer have anything with dairy in it. However, this shop advertised that it stocked allergy free delectables! This is what greeted me inside.



I walked out of there having only purchased my dairy free chocolates, including some buttons to make some hot chocolate with Almond milk.

By the following day, the rain had cleared away, and we decided to take a river cruise on the 'Bundy Belle', a small vessel that does 2 1/2 hr cruises up and back on the Burnett River.


Although it was still quite 'cool', it was lovely on the little boat and the morning tea that was surplied was really delicious. The commentary was very informative about the history of Bundaberg and the river.


This photo shows the river looking towards the city and to just let you know, the bridge ahead was way under water during the recent floods.

We then turned and headed back up the river towards the mouth of the river passing the wharf where the bulk carriers tie up.


Our final place to discover was the Macadamia Australia farm and visitors centre. Here we had tastings of various flavoured macadamia nuts - oh yumm!


There are quite a few 'totem poles' that tell the story of this property where macadamia nuts were first planted back in 1958.


Now the best part - well one of the best parts - about stopping off here, was the morning tea. For one of the first places I felt I could relax when ordering my morning tea. I had my coffee with macadamia milk (very nice) and some gluten free/dairy  cake. Although in the photo it shows a big blob of cream beside the cake, I did not eat it - hubby had that with his piece of cake.


Once back at the caravan park, we began the task of packing away the awning, and other things we would need on our last night there. However, whilst doing this, I could not resist taking a photo of the beautiful sunset that seemed fitting to end our visit to the area. To be honest the photo realy does not do it justice - it was a very rich red colour.


Well time, to head to bed and think of the drive home tomorrow.

'Til next time,

June

1 comment:

  1. Bunderburg, it that where the fizzy drink originated? You went to some lovely shops, quilt shops, chocolate shop, cafes, it's funny how we like to seek these out, isnt it.

    ReplyDelete