Saturday 26 June 2021

Across The Kimberley

 To begin with, we were packing up our gear, and Peter had the doors on the canopy open, he was reversing to couple up the vehicle and caravan when tragedy struck - his aluminum water bottle fell from the back and he ran over it!! It was such a sad, sad day for Peter, considering he had had it in the fridge all night and the water in it was nice and chilled for the beginning of our trip across the Kimberley.

After consoling hubby, it was time to move on and head for the first stop on our Kimberley run. It was only a short drive (about an hour) into Kununurra for a few days stay.  The scenery as we drove along has been changing quite dramatically of late and we are continuously confronted with long straight roads - mind you, really good roads, it must be said.

Whilst staying at Kununurra, we left the vans in the caravan park so we could do a day trip up to Wyndham which is around 100kms north of Kununurra. What should greet us, but a Croc Cafe/Bakery - morning tea here we come!

We also took a drive up to the 5 Rivers lookout, which is where 5 rivers converge before heading out to sea. A very impressive sight.



On the Friday, Des took a flight over the Bungle Bungles and Peter & I took a little time out.

Leaving Kununurra, we continued to head west taking 3 days to reach Derby. We stopped off at the Doon Doon Roadhouse (which is really out in the middle of nowhere) where we topped up with fuel, and had a laugh at the sign on the front of the bowser.

Continuing on our way, our first nights stop was at the Bungle Bungle Caravan Park where we all but shook the insides out of the car and van on the corrugations of the red dirt track into it. Here we had unpowered sites for the night, as no bookings were taken. However, it was the 'open air' ensuite blocks that really took our fancy.


Yes, you saw correctly, no roof on them, so by day, be sure to wear a hat, and by night a shower by the stars.


Have to say, considering the abundance of red dirt, they were very clean.

On our way next morning, it was off to our second nights stop at Fitzroy Crossing, but before that, we stopped for our morning break at Hall's Creek, fuelled the cars and then found a lovely rock to have our morning tea. 

Further on our lunch break at a lay off, when it was my turn to create a stir. I had opened the car door with my map book in my hand, and taking it easy (I thought - it is a long way down you know) and when I tried to put my foot on the ground only to find my foot went from under me having skidded on the red dirt round pebbles and I ended up 'stuck'!!  I had my elbows splayed out on the 'running boards' on the side of the car, and that was all that was holding me from slipping any further. (A day or so later I did find a rather colourful bruise below my waist at the back) I had to call Peter, as I could not get myself up or if I had not come to rest on my elbows I would have ended up on my backside. Wasn't funny at the time, but very soon, all of us were laughing.

Sorry to say (no I'm not) - no photo!!

However, I did manage to take this one of our roadside cuppa boiled by our fearsome twosome on the little gas stove.

On into Fitzroy Crossing where we stayed the night at a very nice resort/caravan park. Had power and water, and met up with some lovely people - happy hour was one of the best so far on this trip.

Now it was into Derby where we were staying a few nights and looking forward to another of our special treats for the trip.

Our first day here, we found an old boab tree that was supposedly used as a prison tree in years gone by, along with the longest water trough for cattle as well.


After setting up in Derby for the night, we ventured to check out the extraordinary tides that occur in this part of the country. Now it was time to bed down for the night ready for our treat tomorrow.


'Til next time,

June

2 comments:

  1. So much fun to travel with you in this for me unknown continent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read about your fall, so pleased that nothing was broken or sprained, other than your big bruise. Falls just see to happen in an instance and can have quite dire consequences as we get older. I'm enjoying following you on your trip, and the sunset photo is glorious.

    ReplyDelete