Friday 25 October 2019

Countdown to Christmas - October

You know, I am just going to have to stay home more - this month has been extremely busy for us with all our comings and goings, but I managed to get my Christmas project made.

It starts off with Christmas hexagons printed on the fabric, however I decided (in my wisdom) to make the background for my project the hexagons, and circles of the print. Have I got you confused yet?


My project for this October Countdown to Christmas was to make some Christmas coasters, and I chose to use some of my bucket-load of calico to create the actual coasters and hand stitch the circles I created from the printed fabric on top. The calico hexagons were 5 1/2" and the circles of print fabric were 3 1/4" diameter.



These were really simple to make, to start with, you cut out your hexagons from your main fabric (2 for each coaster (front and back), add some iron-on wadding to one piece, then you stitch completely around - do not leave an opening for turning - trust me, this works. You then make a slit in the piece that doesn't have the wadding on it, and carefully turn the hexagon right side out through the slit and pin ready to press with the iron as in the photo below.


Now comes the fun bit, with the cut out printed hexagons, I made a template of a circle and cut each one into a circle, having put some vilisafix onto the back of each. These were then placed on the calico coaster and ironed into place.


I then blanket stitched the circles to the calico hexagons, and there you have a lovely set of Christmas coasters.

Thank goodness it was such an easy project - home for a while now, so should get back into my 'normal' (whatever that is) routine.

For now though it is time to go get my washing in, I did an extra load today as I needed a pair of cream slacks for tomorrow - oops, off again, but just a day trip this time. The best part abobut these slacks is that over the last few years I have not been able to fit into them, I can now wear them again - yay!!!

Remember my friends, take care and look after yourselves, and as usual ........


                                                                                         and thank you for visiting my blog.

3 comments:


  1. great little coasters... they will be perfect.... have a lovely day out tomorrow... we are out too...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful coaster’s although I am not ready for Christmas and cold weather yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi June wow i love that fabric and the coasters look fantastic,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete