Monday 21 October 2019

What a Weekend

Well, we are back home and I have even done the washing a well.

As I mentioned in my last post, we flew to Sydney last Friday to meet up with family, and go see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo on their visit to Sydney.

Our flight down was great and we arrived meeting up with our son, daughter-in-law and youngest grand-daughter. A quick chat to catch up over lunch before booking into our accommodation for the weekend. It was then time to get ready to head our to dinner at the Sydney Tower restaurant for Mat & Trina's 11th wedding anniversary.



Wow, what fantastic views of Sydney with the revolving restaurant taking just over an hour to make the complete 360 deg. turn.

Looking east up Sydney Harbour out towards the Heads.


Looking south down into Hyde Park and the War Memorial.


This one is looking west and down onto Darling Harbour.

And of course, looking north and the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge.


Dinner was a buffet of lots of choices available, but of course, I 'paced' myself after I perused the selection of deserts available. It was an extremely clear view and we saw yachts out for the late afternoon along with a naval ship coming back into Garden Island, the naval base in Sydney.

Our other meals for the weekend were at the café below where we were staying in the Opal Tower not far from the ANZ Stadium where the Tattoo was being held.


You can see how high up our seats were and the views were great as we looked straight down onto the performance. You can see that up the other end to us, they had erected a full size replica of the castle, which is where all the performers came onto the
 grounds.


I took quite a lot of photos, and so as not to bore you with them I shall only put up a few. There were not only pipes and drums from Scotland, there was also a drum unit from Switzerland that were excellent. To complement these, there were bands from Samoa, Cook Islands, Tonga, New Guinea, New Zealand as well as the combined Australian Military Bands (Navy, Army & Air Force) along with the Federation Guard. There were in excess of 1,600 performers - the largest Tattoo ever put on, and that includes the ones that are put on in Edinburgh Scotland.





The finale was of course the epitome of it all - absolutely well worth the trip to Sydney.

Now I am back to the drawing board as regards what I plan to do next in my craft room, so with that in mind, I shall close off, and catch up with you soon.

'Til then .........

                                                                                                      thanks for dropping by.

4 comments:

  1. What a great show, nothing beats the sound of bagpipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, there is nothing like that as a live show....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had great weather and great seats...looking straight onto the main area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outing to Sydney looks like a wonderful time. I will only get there if I win the lottery. Sigh.

    I appreciate your comment to my blog. Is it safe to give you my email address here? I don't know! But I'd sure like to have yours.

    ReplyDelete