Monday 20 July 2020

Diving Into the World of Hexagons

Oh dear, I sometimes wonder what on earth I have let myself in for when I decide that a project sounds interesting and I might like to give it a go.

Well that is what has happened here. I was 'surfing' the internet (as we do) and I came across a sew-along from Lauren at Molly and Mama from Highfields on Southern Queensland. Looked really cute and I thought it would be a nice idea to add to my 'Countdown to Christmas' projects. That is where the 'cuteness' ended! It is done with hexagons and .... oh dear, it is SO long since I attempted doing hexagons - mainly machine stitched ones at that, so I thought I had best get myself in the right place to give this a go.



I had purchased from Hugs 'n Kisses in Hobart, Tasmania a small hexagon kit some time last year, and as you do, it got shoved in the drawer, never to see the light of day for many years. It was time to pull it out and try my hand at hand stitching some hexagons. The kit has only 7 hexagons in it - I can do this - with an embroidered one in the centre.  It all came in this lovely little wooden hexagonal box, which I most certainly will be using to keep a few little items needed for doing my stitcheries. Have to mention here, that the fabric needed for the backing did not come with the kit.


Well .... as the saying goes, if all else fails read the instructions! This is what I eventually had to do. I got myself in a mess as I just could not get them to fit properly as I 'thought' they should go together. Found a tutorial on how to put them together, and yes, they fitted!

It was them time to place and stitch them on the front piece of fabric.


A piece of iron-on pellon was added before I cut a rather large hexagon from the backing fabric, folded over the edges and stitched down. Once this was done I added the row of running stitch around the floral hexagons just to finish it off.


Rather pleased with my effort and now feel reasonably confident to tackle the sew-along that will be starting soon.

I have been busy with some other projects - more about them soon.

For now though, continue stitching, take care and keep safe.

'Til next time,

June

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, never attempted hexagons, they seem much to fiddly to me. Pleased you gave yours a go, and mastered it, well done!

    ReplyDelete